New Study: Acidic drinks cause long-term damage within 30 seconds of consumption!
The University of Adelaide researchers found that within 30 seconds of drinking an acidic drink(sodas), lifelong damage happens in the form of dental erosion when it combines with tooth grinding and reflux.
People are Confused about Best Brushing Technique
According to the British Dental Journal, many people are confused on the best ways to brush their teeth, according to a new study. When you have your teeth cleaned in our office, ask the dental hygienist as to the best technique to use
Parents May Not Realize Certain Foods Can Damage Teeth
According to the American Dental Association some foods increase the risk of decay. These include dried fruits, sport drinks, sodas, citrus fruit and starchy foods.
Interesting Facts about Teeth and Dentistry
- The average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth over a lifetime.
- People who drink 3 or more glasses of soda each day have 62% more tooth decay, fillings and tooth loss than others. Put down the pop and sports drinks and pick up some nice fresh water instead.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. However, we do not recommend that you use your pearly whites to open bottle caps!
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning 40% of your tooth surfaces. Make sure you brush and floss twice a day!
- If you're right handed, you will chew your food on your right side. If you're left handed, you will tend to chew your food on your left side.
- Every year, kids in North America spend close to half a million dollars on chewing gum.
- More people use blue toothbrushes than red ones.
- Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different
- The average woman smiles 62 times a day. The average man smiles about 8 times a day.
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day, adults just 15 times a day.
- Giraffes only have bottom teeth.
- Just like finger prints, tooth prints are unique to each individual.
- The average person only brushes for 45 to 70 seconds a day, the recommended amount of time is 2-3 minutes.
- 78% of Americans have had at least 1 cavity by age 17.
- 1882 was the year commercial floss was first manufactured.
- The most valuable tooth belonged to Sir Isaac Newton. In 1816 one of his teeth was sold in London for $3,633, or in today's terms $35,700. The tooth was set in a ring! (source: Guinness World Records 2002).
- More than 300 types of bacteria make up dental plaque.
- Dogs have 42 teeth, cats have 30 teeth, pigs have 44 teeth, and an armadillo has 104 teeth.
- A snail's mouth is no larger than the head of a pin, but it can have over 25,000 teeth!
- The elephant grinds its molars and grows new ones. This happens six times in a lifetime! An elephant's molar is about 7 inches square and can weigh over 6 pounds
- The Blue Whale is the largest mammal on earth, but it eats only tiny shrimp because it has no teeth.
- The Crocodile Bird flies into the open mouth of a crocodile and cleans the crocodile's teeth!
- There are 10-12 teaspoons of sugar in a single can of soda.